Egg rolls are a staple in many Asian cuisines, known for their crispy, golden exterior and savory filling. Traditional egg rolls are deep-fried, but did you know that you can achieve the same delicious results using an air fryer? In this guide, we will show you how to make egg rolls in the air fryer, so you can enjoy this tasty treat with fewer calories and less guilt. The air fryer has become a popular kitchen appliance, and it's easy to see why. It's versatile, efficient, and allows you to create healthier versions of your favorite fried foods.
Our easy-to-make air fryer egg rolls recipe will have your taste buds singing like a diamond, as you bite into the crispy, perfectly cooked exterior. Not only will this recipe teach you how to make crispy air fryer egg rolls, but it will also become one of your best air fryer recipes in no time. The secret to achieving the perfect crunch lies in using the air fryer, which circulates hot air around the egg rolls, giving them an even, golden crisp without the need for excessive oil.
Ready to learn how to make the most delicious, guilt-free egg rolls you've ever tasted? Keep reading, and let's dive into the world of air frying, where you'll discover how simple it is to create mouthwatering egg rolls using the air fryer.
How to Make Egg Rolls in an Air Fryer - Step-by-Step Guide
Egg rolls are a delicious and popular appetizer that can be made healthier using an air fryer. In this step-by-step guide, we'll show you how to make scrumptious air-fried egg rolls in no time.
- 1 lb ground pork or chicken
- 2 cups coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Cooking spray
- Duck sauce or sweet chili sauce, for dipping
- Air fryer
- Large skillet
- Wood cutting board
- Mixing bowl
- Pastry brush
- Baking sheet
- Prepare the filling: On a wood cutting board, thinly slice the green onions. In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium heat. Add the ground pork or chicken, and cook until browned, breaking it apart as it cooks. Drain any excess grease.
- Cook the vegetables: Add the coleslaw mix and green onions to the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the cabbage begins to wilt. Stir in the soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder, and black pepper, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and let the filling cool slightly.
- Preheat the air fryer: Set the air fryer to 390°F (200°C) and preheat for 5 minutes. While the air fryer is preheating, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil for easy cleanup.
- Assemble the egg rolls: Lay an egg roll wrapper on the wood cutting board with one corner pointing toward you. Place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the center of the wrapper. Fold the bottom corner up over the filling, then fold in the left and right corners. Roll the egg roll away from you, tucking in the filling as you go. Moisten the top corner with a little water to seal the egg roll. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
- Prepare the egg rolls for air frying: Place the assembled egg rolls on the lined baking sheet. Lightly spray the egg rolls with cooking spray or brush them with a small amount of oil. This will help them achieve a crispy, golden-brown exterior.
- Cook the egg rolls: Place the egg rolls in the basket of the air fryer, making sure they are not touching each other. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the egg rolls are golden brown and crispy. Use tongs to carefully flip the egg rolls halfway through the cooking time to ensure even cooking.
- Serve and enjoy: Remove the cooked egg rolls from the air fryer and let them cool slightly before serving. Serve with duck sauce or sweet chili sauce for dipping.
With this easy-to-follow guide, you can have delicious, crispy egg rolls without the guilt of deep-frying. Enjoy this healthier version of a classic appetizer and impress your family and friends with your air-frying skills.
Useful Tips When Making Homemade Egg Rolls in the Air Fryer
Cooking homemade egg rolls in the air fryer is a fantastic way to enjoy a healthier version of this popular appetizer. Here are some useful tips to make your air-fried egg rolls taste even better.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer basket: To ensure even cooking and crispiness, avoid overcrowding the air fryer basket. Place the egg rolls in a single layer, with some space between them. This allows the hot air to circulate around each egg roll, ensuring that all sides of the egg rolls cook evenly. You may need to cook them in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Brush the egg rolls with oil: To achieve a crispy, golden-brown exterior, lightly brush the egg rolls with oil or cooking spray before placing them in the air fryer. This helps replicate the texture of deep-fried egg rolls without using excessive amounts of oil.
- Seal the edges of the wrapper: When assembling the egg rolls, make sure to seal the edges of the wrapper properly. Use a small amount of water to moisten the edges, and press firmly to create a tight seal. This prevents the egg roll filling from spilling out during the cooking process.
- Preheat the air fryer: Preheating the air fryer ensures that the egg rolls start cooking immediately when placed in the basket. This helps achieve a crispy exterior and reduces the overall cooking time.
- Use the right amount of filling: Overstuffing the egg rolls can cause them to burst open during cooking. Use a consistent amount of filling for each egg roll, around 2 tablespoons per 1 egg roll wrapper. This ensures that the egg rolls cook evenly and maintain their shape.
- Rotate the egg rolls: To ensure even browning, use tongs to carefully flip the egg rolls halfway through the cooking time. This allows all sides of the egg rolls to cook evenly and become crispy.
- Reheating leftovers: If you have leftover egg rolls, the air fryer is perfect for reheating them. Simply place the egg rolls back in the air fryer basket and cook at 350°F (180°C) for 3-5 minutes, or until heated through and crispy.
- Keep an eye on the cooking time: Cooking times may vary depending on the size and power of your air fryer. Start checking the egg rolls a few minutes before the recommended cooking time, and adjust as needed.
Upgrade your kitchen game by choosing a high-quality walnut cutting board for all your culinary endeavors. Ditch the less-than-ideal plastic boards to ensure your food remains pristine. Opt for the superior choice of a wooden cutting board, meticulously manufactured in Montreal, Canada, using premium American Black Walnut imported from the US. Mevell wood cutting boards are designed to leave a lasting impression on your culinary creations.
Benefits of Using Air Fryer for Your Egg Rolls
Air fryers have become increasingly popular kitchen appliances, and for a good reason. They offer a healthier alternative to traditional deep-frying methods while still delivering delicious, crispy results. When it comes to making egg rolls, using an air fryer has several advantages that make it a worthwhile investment.
Here are some benefits of using an air fryer for your egg rolls:
One of the most significant benefits of using an air fryer for your egg rolls is the reduction in oil consumption. Air fryers use hot air circulation to cook food, requiring only a small amount of oil or cooking spray. This results in egg rolls with fewer calories and less fat, making them a healthier option compared to deep-fried versions.
Crispy and Delicious Results
Air fryers are known for their ability to achieve a crispy, golden-brown exterior without the need for excessive oil. By using an air fryer, you can enjoy delicious, crispy egg rolls that are just as satisfying as their deep-fried counterparts, without the guilt.
Cooking egg rolls in an air fryer means less mess and easier cleanup. Since air fryers require minimal oil, you won't have to deal with the hassle of disposing of large amounts of used oil. Additionally, many air fryer baskets are dishwasher-safe, making cleanup a breeze.
Faster Cooking Time
Air fryers typically cook food faster than traditional ovens or deep-frying methods. The rapid circulation of hot air allows for quick and even cooking, reducing the overall cooking time for your egg rolls. This means you can enjoy your homemade egg rolls in less time.
Air fryers are incredibly versatile appliances, allowing you to cook a wide range of dishes beyond egg rolls. From appetizers and main courses to desserts, an air fryer can be used to prepare various meals, making it a valuable addition to any kitchen.
Deep-frying food can often leave lingering odors in your kitchen. Air fryers, on the other hand, are designed with built-in odor filters that help reduce the smell associated with frying. This means you can enjoy your egg rolls without the lingering aroma of oil.
Air fryers offer a safer cooking method compared to traditional deep-frying. With no large amounts of hot oil to worry about, the risk of burns and accidents is significantly reduced. Additionally, air fryers are equipped with features like automatic shut-off and temperature control to ensure safe cooking.
Can I cook frozen egg rolls in the air fryer?
Yes, you can cook frozen egg rolls in the air fryer. Simply place the frozen egg rolls in the basket of your air fryer, making sure they are not touching, and cook at 390°F (200°C) for 12-15 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time. Keep in mind that cooking times may vary depending on the size and brand of the egg rolls.
How many egg rolls can I cook at once in the air fryer?
The number of egg rolls you can cook at once depends on the size of your air fryer basket. It's essential not to overcrowd the basket, so the egg rolls cook evenly. For a standard-sized air fryer, you can typically cook 4-6 egg rolls at once. If you need to cook for 6 persons, you may need to cook your egg rolls in batches.
Can I use different fillings for my homemade air fryer egg rolls?
Absolutely! Homemade air fryer egg rolls are versatile, and you can customize the fillings to your liking. You can use various proteins like shrimp, tofu, or beef, and add different vegetables like mushrooms, bean sprouts, or bell peppers. Just make sure the filling is not too wet, as this can make the egg rolls soggy.
How do I prevent the egg rolls from unrolling while cooking in the air fryer?
To prevent the egg rolls from unrolling, make sure to seal the edges of the wrapper properly by moistening the edges with water and pressing firmly. Also, place the egg rolls seam side down in the basket of your air fryer. This helps keep the egg rolls intact during the cooking process.
Can I make egg rolls ahead of time and cook them later in the air fryer?
Yes, you can prepare the egg rolls ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to a day before cooking. When you're ready to cook, simply place the egg rolls in the air fryer basket and follow the cooking instructions. Keep in mind that you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly, as the egg rolls will be cold from the refrigerator.
What sauces can I serve with my air fry egg rolls?
There are various dipping sauces that pair well with air fry egg rolls. Some popular options include sweet chili sauce, duck sauce, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and spicy mustard. Feel free to get creative and try different sauces to find your favorite combination.
Are air-fried egg rolls healthier than deep-fried ones?
Air-fried egg rolls are generally healthier than deep-fried ones because they use significantly less oil. The easy air fryer method allows you to enjoy crispy and delicious egg rolls with fewer calories and less fat, making them a more guilt-free option.
In conclusion, making the best air fryer egg rolls at home is a fun, easy, and healthier alternative to traditional deep-frying methods. By following our step-by-step guide, useful tips, and FAQs, you'll be well on your way to mastering the art of air-fried egg rolls.
Impress your family and friends with your air-frying skills and enjoy the delicious, crispy results of your homemade creations.
- Air Fryer Cornish Hen: Crispy Skin and Juicy Meat Recipe
- Air Fryer Crab Legs: Air Frying Seafood Goodness
- How to Reheat Pizza in Air Fryer | Thick, Thin, &
- Easy Air Fryer Brownies - Step-by-Step Guide
- Easy Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Recipe
- Easy Air Fryer Turkey Legs Recipe
- Air Fryer Calzone - Easy to Make Air Fryer Calzones Recipe
- Air Fryer Carrots - Easy to Make Air Fryer Roasted Carrots
Related Products You Might Like
To make your air fryer egg roll experience even better, consider investing in a high-quality wood cutting board. A good cutting board is essential for preparing ingredients and assembling your egg rolls.
At Mevell, we offer a range of durable and stylish wood cutting boards that will not only enhance your cooking experience but also add a touch of elegance to your kitchen.
Check out our collection of wood cutting boards today!