Are you craving for some mouthwatering, cheesy goodness on your next pizza night? Look no further, as we have the perfect solution for you – Air Fryer Calzone! This delicious air fryer recipe will make your taste buds go crazy with its scrumptious, crispy crust and gooey, flavorful filling. Say goodbye to the traditional oven-baked calzones and welcome the new era of air fried calzones in the air fryer.
In this blog post, we'll walk you through an easy-to-follow pizza dough recipe that will make your calzone-making experience a breeze. You'll be surprised at how easy it is to create these amazing pockets of delight in your air fryer. Not only are they a healthier alternative to deep-fried or oven-baked counterparts, but they also cook up in a fraction of the time.
So, are you ready to level up your pizza night game with this crazy easy and delicious Air Fryer Calzone recipe? Keep reading to discover the secret to making the perfect air fried calzones that will leave your family and friends begging for more!
What is Calzone?
Calzone, a delectable Italian dish, is essentially a folded pizza that resembles a half-moon shape. Traditionally, calzones are stuffed with a variety of ingredients, such as cheese, meat, and vegetables, making them a versatile and satisfying meal option. Unlike regular pizzas, traditional calzones enclose their fillings within a piece of dough, resulting in a scrumptious pocket of flavors.
The word "calzone" translates to "trouser" or "stocking" in Italian, which hints at the dish's shape. Although calzones share similarities with pizza, they offer a unique twist by containing the pizza toppings within the dough, rather than on top. This not only keeps the ingredients warm and moist but also adds an element of surprise as you bite into the crust to reveal the delightful filling.
The top of the calzone is often brushed with olive oil or egg wash, giving it a golden brown, crispy exterior that contrasts beautifully with the soft, gooey interior. With their distinct appearance and delicious taste, calzones have become a popular dish worldwide, loved by both pizza enthusiasts and those seeking a unique culinary experience.
How to Make Calzones in the Air Fryer Step-by-Step Guide
Get ready to indulge in some scrumptious, air-fried calzones with this easy-to-follow recipe that will impress your family and friends. Here's a list of ingredients and tools you'll need, followed by a step-by-step guide to help you create the perfect calzones in your air fryer.
- 1 lb pizza dough ( store bought pizza dough or homemade pizza dough )
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pepperoni slices
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese or Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced bell peppers (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced onions (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives (optional)
- Olive oil or cooking spray, for brushing
- Flour, for dusting
- Air fryer
- Wood cutting board
- Rolling pin
- Knife or pizza cutter
- Parchment paper
- Pastry brush
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C).
- Lightly flour a wood cutting board or clean countertop.
- Prepare your ingredients by slicing the pepperoni, grating the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, and chopping any additional toppings, such as bell peppers, onions, and olives.
Roll out the dough
- Divide the pizza dough into four equal parts.
- On the floured surface, roll out each piece of dough into an 8-inch circle, about 1/4-inch thick.
Add the fillings:
- On one half of each dough circle, spread a generous spoonful of marinara sauce, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge.
- Layer the pepperoni slices on top of the sauce.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of mozzarella cheese over the pepperoni.
- Add any additional toppings, such as bell peppers, onions, and olives.
- Top with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
Fold and seal the calzones:
- Fold the dough over the fillings, creating a half-moon shape.
- Press down gently around the edges to remove any air bubbles.
- Crimp and seal the edges of the dough by pressing them together with your fingers or a fork.
Prepare the air fryer basket:
- Cut four pieces of parchment paper, slightly larger than each calzone.
- Place each calzone on a piece of parchment paper.
- Brush the top of each calzone with olive oil or lightly coat with cooking spray.
Air-fry the calzones:
- Place the parchment paper with the calzones in the air fryer basket, ensuring they are not touching each other. You may need to cook them in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until the calzones are golden brown and the dough is cooked through.
Serve and enjoy:
- Carefully remove the calzones from the air fryer basket using tongs or a spatula.
- Allow them to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with extra marinara sauce for dipping, if desired.
What's the ideal method for presenting your homemade calzones other than using a top-quality walnut cutting board? Say goodbye to plastic boards with their potential for pesky plastic residues in your food. If you're dedicated to both your culinary creations and your well-being, opt for a wooden cutting board. Our boards are crafted with pride and care in Montreal, Canada, using American Black Walnut imported from the US. They're guaranteed to impress your friends.
Use Tips for Making Air Fryer Calzones
Air fryer calzones are one of the most delicious and convenient ways to enjoy a tasty, homemade pizza treat. To further help you make this recipe a success, here are some useful tips and tricks to keep in mind when preparing your air-fried calzones.
Choose the right pizza sauce: The type of pizza sauce you use can greatly impact the overall flavor of your calzones. Opt for a high-quality, flavorful sauce that complements your chosen toppings. You can also make your favorite pizza sauce at home for a more personalized touch.
Prepare the dough in advance: To save time, you can prepare your pizza dough a few days ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. Once you are ready to air fry your calzones, simply let the dough come to room temperature before rolling it out.
Monitor the cook time: The cook time for your air fryer calzones may vary depending on the size and thickness of your pizza crust, as well as the specific air fryer model. Keep an eye on your calzones during the cooking process to ensure they reach the perfect golden-brown color and don't overcook.
Don't overstuff your calzones: While it's tempting to load up your calzones with all your favorite toppings, many calzones have a tendency to burst or become soggy when overstuffed. Stick to a moderate amount of filling to ensure your calzones cook evenly and maintain their crispy exterior.
Seal the edges well: To prevent the filling from leaking out during the cooking process, make sure to properly seal the edges of the dough by crimping them with your fingers or a fork.
Try mini calzones: For first-time making calzones or if you're serving them as appetizers, consider making mini calzones. These smaller versions are not only easier to handle and cook but also make for a fun, bite-sized treat that everyone will enjoy.
Get creative with toppings: One of the best things about calzones is their versatility. Feel free to experiment with different combinations of toppings to create unique and delicious flavor profiles that cater to your personal preferences.
Reheating leftovers: Air fryer calzones make for excellent leftovers. To reheat, simply place the calzones back in the air fryer at a lower temperature (around 350°F) for a few minutes until they are warmed through and the crust is crispy again.
How do I reheat calzones in the air fryer?
To reheat calzones in the air fryer, preheat the air fryer to 350°F (180°C). Place the calzones in the air fryer basket, ensuring they are not touching each other, and heat for 3-5 minutes or until warmed through and the crust is crispy again. This method helps preserve the texture and flavor, making your leftovers just as enjoyable as when you first made the recipe.
Can I use pre made pizza dough to make calzones in the air fryer?
Yes, using pre-made pizza dough is a convenient and time-saving option for making calzones in the air fryer. Store-bought pizza dough typically works well and can produce delicious results. Just be sure to let the dough come to room temperature before rolling it out and filling it with your chosen ingredients.
How much dough should I use to make air fryer calzones?
The amount of dough you need to make air fryer calzones depends on the desired size of your calzones. For standard-sized calzones, a 1 lb (454 g) package of pizza dough should be enough to make four calzones. If you prefer smaller, appetizer-sized calzones, you can divide the dough into smaller portions accordingly.
Can I make this recipe with a gluten-free or whole wheat dough?
Yes, you can make air fryer calzones with gluten-free or whole wheat dough. Both options can produce delicious results, though the texture may vary slightly from traditional pizza dough. When using gluten-free dough, be sure to choose a high-quality brand that is designed to work well for pizza and calzones. For whole wheat dough, keep in mind that it may be denser and require a slightly longer cooking time. Always monitor your calzones during the cooking process to ensure they are cooked to your desired level of doneness.
Making calzones in the air fryer is a fun and easy way to enjoy a delicious, homemade pizza treat. With a variety of fillings to choose from and the convenience of cooking in an air fryer, you can create mouthwatering calzones that are perfect for any occasion.
Just follow our step-by-step guide and helpful tips to ensure your calzones come out perfectly every time.
- Air Fryer Cornish Hen: Crispy Skin and Juicy Meat Recipe
- Air Fryer Crab Legs: Air Frying Seafood Goodness
- How to Reheat Pizza in Air Fryer | Thick, Thin, &
- Easy Air Fryer Brownies - Step-by-Step Guide
- Easy Air Fryer Bacon Wrapped Shrimp Recipe
- Easy Air Fryer Turkey Legs Recipe
- Air Fryer Carrots - Easy to Make Air Fryer Roasted Carrots
- Easy to Make Air Fryer Egg Rolls Recipe
Related Products You Might Like
A quality wood cutting board is an essential tool for making air fryer calzones. It provides a sturdy surface for rolling out your dough and prepping your ingredients. At Mevell, we offer a range of premium wood cutting boards that are not only functional but also beautifully crafted.
Check out our collection of wood cutting boards and elevate your calzone-making experience.